So the house purge continues, slowly, very slowly. I have now completed my entire bedroom, every cubby, nook, cranny, and closet. I have thrown away loads of stuff that has been bloating my house for years. I had taken a couple of days off to work on the painting in my foyer, which is nearing completion, but today I was right back at it, in my closet. In the process I came across my love letters from boot camp, followed by love and life letters during West Pac cruise three years later. I read through all the boot camp letters, sitting back in my recliner, from 35 years onward and it was very strange. I read about what I hoped our future would be like, prophetically, I had written that I knew we would spend a lot of time apart. Little did I know that 30 of our 35f so far years would be spent passing like ships in the night. I was kind of taken aback by my immaturity. I mean, I guess there aren't too many 23 year olds sporting great wisdom, but I seemed to be a very silly kind of girl. There was even a letter in which I mentioned that my Dad and Joyce were trying to get me to have a traditional type wedding, but I was not all about conventional "rules". Good Lord! I am ALL about conventional rules! I didn't know myself! A lot of it was about the practical side of weddings. I wanted a church wedding, but I didn't want the marriage counseling. *Note to "Young"er self (see what I did there?) Get the marriage counseling. GET THE MARRIAGE COUNSELING.
I read a few of the letters from the West Pacific cruise, three years, and two kids later. I was considerably more mature. Six months of living with his parents while he sailed aboard the USS Nimitz, with two children under three, grew me up. In one letter I stated I would lose my mind if Matthew barfed on his mother's kitchen table one more time. I fell over laughing. It must have seemed so serious at the time, and sick kids ARE serious, but the way I phrased that, just so matter of fact was very funny.
I came across a letter written about the kids getting their Christmas pictures made, and it was also, too funny. Katie was almost three, Matt was 14 months, and we were with a friend and her 14 month old. We were at Sears and trying to keep control of three children under three was like herding cats.
Matthew escaped into the general shopping area. Then Katie had a tantrum. Then Matthew made another break for freedom. Finally we had them all together and then the photographer let the back drop fall suddenly and all three kids lost their minds. But the pictures did come out wonderful, despite that. And I survived.
And then there was this little gem I came across in the BCLL, referring to an incident involving my sisters and my mother. I fell back in my chair laughing, because I could so see them in my mind, as this situatation transpired.
"My sister was telling me something I thought was REALLY funny, and I thought you might think it was funny, too, if I told you. Heather was telling me about when they lived on Cherry St., in Sherman, and they lived in this HUGE rambling old (wreck of a) house. I was living with Auntie, I guess. She said one day, she just sort of moseyed on over to her dresser get a shirt, and this HUGE BIRD, I guess it was a crow, that had somehow got in and was hiding behind her dresser (just waiting for her to saunter casually up to the dresser) flew right directly into her face! Well, she just started screaming and ran down the stairs as fast as she could. Emily! Emily! There's a BIRD in my room! Well, so Emily says, "Yeah, right, a bird?" And goes into Heather's room, and two seconds later comes barreling down the stairs (I was in absolute tears while she was telling me this.) MOM! There's a bird in Heather's room! So my mom is saying "A bird? Yeah, right, what's the matter with you girls?" So she goes in there and the next thing Heather and Emily see is mom running down the stairs after this bird, yelling at the top of her lungs, "SHEW, SHEW! GET OUT OF MY HOUSE, YOU BIRD! Get out, get out, get OUT!" (Why did I spell shew that way? I was tempted to correct it, but left it, because it's funnier that way.)
And she shewed the bird right out the front door! While flapping her arms all around.
On another note, we have had school duty every day this week, including one night that the girls stayed the night. Things are a little different now with the morning routine, because they go to two different schools. They are becoming very self regulated now. They brush their own hair, although they still need it to be gone over. They choose their own clothes. They don't need much help. Getting out the door on time has not been even a little bit of a trial. Getting up so early is most certainly a trial, but we only have one more morning duty this week, and we are done. We have nothing upcoming this week, so the Mr. and I might sneak off somewhere for a couple of days and not tell anyone. We have been working hard around the house the last couple of weeks, getting things done. The gigantic tree on the side of our house, the one that keeps dropping huge limbs, was cut down today. I was sad to see it go, but I will never have to worry about it falling on the neighbors, or our own house, again. It was sick and dying, and last year a huge chunk of it did fall on the neighbor's house, and in a miraculous show of God's divine power, it did no damage. Where it hit the house was in an 18 inch space between the window and the front wall of the porch. It made a little nick in the paint.
Today the "fast" tree people showed up at 8 Am, and they had most of the tree down within the hour. They tallest part, what was left of the tree that fell last year, crowned by a remnant of still living leaves was what remained and it was the hardest part. I wondered how they would do it, as I sat from my excellent vantage point on the patio in the back yard. I took a sip of coffee and opened my Bible, when out of the corner of my eye, I saw it begin to fall. With a sickening thud, I heard it land on the neighbors house. I jumped up and ran, as fast as these old arthritic legs could go! I got to the front and saw the head guy, and he said, There was an accident.
I jumped over the stump and looked at the disaster before me, but it was not a disaster. Once again, the tree had just shaved the house, taking off part of the Crepe Myrtle in front of the porch, and completely obliterating the trash can that had been in the yard. But the house was untouched. Thank God!
The internet cable was trashed. The trash can was trashed. But the house was spared.
I wondered, why. on. Earth. anyone in his right mind would cut a huge tree like that from the bottom. I have seen lots of trees cut down. Usually someone climbs the tree and cuts the small branches first. Not these guys. Living up to the name Fast they just went for gold. Just chopped it down. From the bottom. True, they did have a rope tied to their truck. I guess somebody didn't hit the gas fast enough when the tree started going, and it went down at the wrong angle.
But they had it cleaned up within the hour. And an hour after that they were gone. They took care of the damaged crepe, the Mr. popped out the trashcan, and called the boss to make sure they got the internet back on for the neighbors and all was well. But, we won't be recommending them to anyone, even if they are licensed, bonded, and insured.
Tomorrow we have the girls again, and the contractor will be finishing up on the soffit repair. The soffit has been held together for about three years now with flex seal, which I must say has done a dandy job. The mower guy will be coming, as it's been five weeks since he has made his rounds, and the yard is looking like a jungle.
I will be working on the foyer again. I know my sister will be absolutely appalled, but there is quite a lot of gold paint going up in there, and I have been walking around the house touching things up with this very gold paint I got from Amazon. It's Folk Art, and I really didn't like it at first but it's really growing on me. It's hard to describe what I have been doing with it, but when it's done I will share a picture.
Very. Gold. That's all I will say. I can hear Emily gagging all the way from Virginia. But maybe I may yet win her over.
Matthew just came up and told me their is a lunar eclipse happening at this very minute. So I had better go see it.
No comments:
Post a Comment